Friday, August 31, 2007

Detention!

I gave out my first detentions on Monday. I then proceeded to give out detentions every day for the rest of the week. Apparently I just hit the point where I was sick of their behavior -- that, or the honeymoon period is over and they're just acting worse. Perhaps both. The kids just can't seem to resist throwing things. So much throwing! My 4th period class (the most naughty) totally trashed their room today. Papers everywhere, recycle bin knocked over and contents strewn about. After the bell rang, I made them clean up everything and only then would I start timing the 25 seconds of silence they owed me. Apparently I terrified the next class. It was awesome. I also discovered the best way to deliver a detention slip -- stapled to the person's backpack. My tech class had gone outside for an egg drop. One guy didn't return to class, but he left his backpack. It was great.

I know that I sound like I'm enjoying this. I am, though of course I would prefer not having to give detention at all. However, it is nice to finally be able to act against all the other rude and stupid behavior that exists in the world.

I had my first day of my Science 6 class on Thursday. I gave a kid detention because he kept throwing things at the girl in front of him. Apparently he mentioned something about wanting to bring a gun to school, so the vice principal is investigating. Hopefully he and I won't be at the same school in a few years, since I think I'd totally be on his hit list.

No comments: