Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Holiday stuff

I know it has been a little while since Thanksgiving, but since people have been known to have turkeys around Christmas (or later in the year, if they have the freezer space, since it is such cheap meat this time of year) it would not be totally inappropriate for me to recommend this recipe for turkey and spinach curry. I definitely identified with the article when they spoke of turkey on Thursday, turkey sandwiches on Friday, and then looking for something non-traditional to help with some of the leftovers. Not that turkey soup and turkey pot pie aren't delicious, but sometimes one is looking for a little spice. Unfortunately, the author was clearly lying when he said that the tomatoes in the curry would break down, so I wound up eating the whole thing myself.

If you're still looking for things to give as gifts this year, I thought I might help you out and list a few I've found. Nothing like a delicious homemade gift (helps with the budget, too).

Vanilla syrup - Makes me glad that I bought vanilla beans in bulk online. So much cheaper!
Dulce de leche - I spent the better part of this evening making this and made a royal mess of my stove. I used an 8 quart pot, but I really wish I'd used my stock pot as the dang thing kept boiling over. Took much longer than an hour for mine to reach the proper color and consistency.
Pumpkin butter - I've been dipping apple slices in this for my snack this week. Much more respectable than eating it by the spoonful.
Mandarin orange dust - The gift for the foodie who has everything. Well, it's pretty much this or a cookbook for my step mom.
Chocolate popcorn with sea salt - Grandpa is a chocoholic.

A couple of non-food ideas as well.
Fabric binder clips - I saw this browsing through dandee's archives, only to have my step mom express her love of binder clips the following weekend. This will probably wind up being her birthday gift, as I don't think I'll be able to get them done in time for Saturday's gift exchange.
Surprise balls - R's side of the family is just doing stocking stuffers this year (new baby + house purchases = all the siblings feeling the pinch), so I decided that the should at least be wrapped in an fun manner. Or annoying, depending on your perspective.
Marble magnets - These are really cool and I'm planning on making a few for myself. I used mod podge to glue them, but it seems like it may not be strong enough to last.

No comments: