Chocolate Banana Bread
Adapted from You Say Tomato... I Say Tomato (who in turn adapted it from Nigella's Banana Bread, How to Be a Domestic Goddess)
- 1/2 c dried blueberries
- 1/4 c whiskey
- 1 1/4 c plain flour
- 1/3 c cocoa powder
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 c sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small very ripe bananas
- handful of chocolate chips
- handful of pine nuts
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 23x13x7cm loaf pan, buttered and floured or with a paper insert
1. Put the dried blueberries and whiskey in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from heat, cover and leave for an hour if you can, or until the blueberries have absorbed most of the liquid, then drain.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and get started on the rest. Put the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized bowl and, using your hands or a wooden spoon, combine well. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and sugar and beat until blended.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the mashed bananas and chocolate chips. Then, with your wooden spoon, stir in the pine nuts, drained blueberries and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture, a third at a time, stirring well after each bit.
4. Scrape into the loaf pan and bake in the middle of the oven for 1-1 1/4 hours. When it's ready, an inserted toothpick or fine skewer should come out lacking in dough. Leave in the pan on a rack to cool, and eat thickly or thinly sliced, as you prefer.