Sunday, May 10, 2009

The fine art of knowing one's audience

I made mustard for Mother's Day. An odd gift, one might think, but it was happily received by my grandmother and step-mom. They like condiments.

After my spices came in the mail (three cheers for cheap bulk spices online), I realized I had enough of each ingredients to double the recipe. As the grainy deli-style mustard recipe was supposed to make a cup and a half, and I was giving gifts of it to two people, I thought that would be a good way to ensure that I had some left over for myself. I'm not entirely sure what happened, as I followed the recipe precisely, but I wound up getting triple the amount of mustard by doubling the recipe. Delicious, yes, but now I've got a ridiculous amount in the fridge. It's a good thing condiments last forever.

No comments: