Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Babies make you crafty

Not having a baby, as from what I understand they tend to be a real time sink, but the idea of a new person seems to inspire industry. Perhaps it is because they come into the world completely lacking in stuff.

Now, I know you might think I'm nesting (my mother and mother-in-law both seem convinced of that), but I swear I found this pattern for baby shoes a while ago and have had it on my To Do list ever since. It just takes a deadline to get me moving. I also assembled a side table we had received as a wedding gift over a year ago. Like I said, nothing like a deadline to get me moving.

If anyone is nesting, it is definitely my dear friend S. She came down for my baby shower last weekend and was clearly showing off her auntly chops. She made me a gigantic pile of burp clothes using cloth diapers and strips of fabric. (Thank goodness she made so many, as I know some kids spit up after every feeding. Did you know you've got to feed a newborn 8-10 times a day?) S used several different prints, but this one is definitely my favorite. Yarr, I spit up on me mum. S also made me a sling, with the promise of more when the baby gets bigger. I would have modeled it with the cat... but that seemed like a really bad idea. Use your imagination.

The most amazing thing, though, was the quilt she made. As you can see, the thing is brightly colored, so it is perfect for stimulating a developing brain and will be nearly impossible to stain.

Now, I'm sure some of you out there are going "Yeah, a quilt. I make those all the time," however that is not the case in this situation. This is S's first quilt. She was so excited by the prospect of the baby that she freaking learned how to quilt. I'll have to remember that for when the baby is an angsty teenager. When she complains that we're so horrible and everyone hates her, I'll remind her that, at the very least, her Aunt S loves her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, what a sweet post! I enjoyed every minute of sewing for my new little niece! And when she's an angsty teenager, you can send her to me for a few weeks in the summer. :)

-S

P.S. The burp cloths, sling and quilt were a result of me actually TRYING to reign in the nesting. Imagine if I had just gone to town...