Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Food, glorious food!

I mentioned a bit ago (you know, before all this baby excitement) that I'd been checking out cookbooks from the library. It turns out that this is only a good strategy if you only like a few recipes from a cookbook, as is generally the case for me. If, however, you come across a great cookbook, you will be forced to buy it.

Hopefully this won't happen too often. I've got way too many cookbooks already.

As it turns out, How to Cook Everything is everything I've been wanting in a basic, all-purpose cookbook. An alternate title could be "Simple-ish Recipes That A Would Like to Cook." Sure, I've got ye olde standard Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, but most of the recipes in there are of a distictly midwestern sensibility. I mostly wind up using the conversion tables and looking up how long it takes to steam broccoli.

Actual cooking has slowed down for the moment, at least until we eat through the glorious quantities of food people provided us with to help us though the first few weeks of the little one's existence. Still, I've got plans. I think I used up an entire pad of post its on this book.

No comments: