Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Growing Challenge #7: Learning from the master

Having traveled up to NorCal to have the top of my wedding dress fitted, I had the opportunity to hang out with my best buddy S and her father, the expert veggie gardener. It was great being able to ask all of the questions that gardening has fomented and to see how someone very practiced grows their crops. I also got to take a look inside his compost bins at his beautiful rich compost. I'm so jealous!

What I have learned:
  • The wire used as cement molds and big metal rods are adequate supports for tomatoes. One should tie the tomato to the rod as it grows.
  • Peppers also like some support, so those flimsier stakes and standard tomato cages I bought last year will not go to waste.
  • Peppers are good container plants.
  • Most seeds are good for a while, but the germination rate goes down over time. S's dad throws his away after 10 years.

No comments: