Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A thick skin

In my preparation to begin teacher training, I'm working upon becoming less gullible. I've got this unfortunate naive streak, resulting in my believing whatever people tell me. For the longest time, I thought that the giant dent that appeared on my sister's car was from some inconsiderate jerk in a parking lot who just didn't leave a note. Really, it was from her drunkenly hitting a tree. The story was for the benefit of my father, who didn't believe it, but she just forgot to tell me the actual tale. For the next year and a half I then proceeded to go around spouting her fake story whenever my sister's driving record came into question. "Yeah, her car has a few dents, but none of them are her fault." Right.

I'm sure many people are like me, but the problem is that students like to mess with teachers/authority figures. I guess it's fun or something. When I was tutoring in the school on campus, one of the students decided to mess with me a bit.

"Hey, I know your boyfriend"
"Really?" (Within the realm of possibility, as he did work for the university).
"Yeah. My sister knows him"
"Riiiight..." (Less likely, as he's quite antisocial and most of the kids at the school will be the first in their families to go to college, where he might have actually met said sister).
"No, I'm just kidding. I didn't even know if you had a boyfriend." Followed by uproarious laughter.

On the other hand, I'm obviously not the only teacher like this, as B had to explain the whole "not turning in your exam and then claiming the teacher lost it because you totally weren't prepared" routine to my step-mom, a 30 year teaching veteran.

No comments: