Mint Chocolate Brownies
From Everyday Food (you should all be subscribing to this magazine, it's awesome)
- 8 T (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 8 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 c sugar
- 3/4 t salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 c flour
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 25 small peppermint patties
2. Place chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of gently simmering water. Stir occasionally just until melted, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar and salt until smooth; whisk in eggs. Gently whisk in flour and cocoa powder just until smooth (do not over mix).
4. Spread 1/3 of batter in prepared pan. Arrange peppermint patties on batter in a single layer, leaving a narrow border on all sides. Top with remaining batter, and smooth surface. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean with moist crumbs attached, 45 to 55 minutes.
5. Cool completely in pan. Use foil to lift from pan; peel off foil and discard. Cut into 16 squares (4 rows by 4 rows).
Even though I slightly overcooked mine (I need a new oven timer. Mine beeps once, very quietly. If you're not in the same room it is essentially silent), this was still delicious. Other reviewers agree. Definitely keeping this one in the recipe book.