Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Recipe Review: Tortilla Soup

In all fairness, this is hardly a new recipe. Although this is the first time I have made it, I am intimately familiar with the product. This is my step-mom's tortilla soup recipe. Much beloved by my whole family, this recipe was probably the single biggest factor in my step-mom gaining the love of my sister and me (well, that and being a really nice person). In any case, I'm so glad that I can make this soup myself now, since she's been tinkering with the recipe of late and I'm not so fond of the changes.

Tortilla Soup

Serves 3
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz) Chicken broth
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) Mexican stewed tomatoes--blended
  • 4-5 Sprigs cilantro
  • 3 Flour tortillas (burrito size)
  • 1 Ripe avocado
  • 1 Tomato
  • 2-3 oz Pepper jack or cheddar cheese (I just used a small pile of each)
  • 1 sauteed chicken breast, cut into small pieces (or more, if you like. I used tenders because they cook faster)
  • 1/4 tsp. Pepper flakes
  • Ground pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • Chili powder (if desired)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

2. Cut flour tortillas into 1/4 in. strips using pizza cutter, place on a bake sheet in a single layer, bake until crisp (13 minutes or so).

3. Blend stewed tomatoes with rinsed cilantro, pepper flakes, ground pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder (if looking for additional spice).

4. Add to saucepan with chicken broth, heat through.

5. Cut avocado in half, remove seed, run knife through avocado lengthwise, then crosswise to dice.

6. Rinse and dice tomato.

7. Grate cheese.

To serve:
Place avocado, tomato, cheese, and baked tortilla strips in individual bowls, ladle soup over ingredients.

I was very surprised at how quickly this recipe came together. If I had some pre-cooked chicken around, this would be a 15 minute meal.

No comments: