- 2 cans (14.5 oz) Chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Mexican stewed tomatoes--blended
- 4-5 Sprigs cilantro
- 3 Flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 1 Ripe avocado
- 1 Tomato
- 2-3 oz Pepper jack or cheddar cheese (I just used a small pile of each)
- 1 sauteed chicken breast, cut into small pieces (or more, if you like. I used tenders because they cook faster)
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper flakes
- Ground pepper
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder (if desired)
2. Cut flour tortillas into 1/4 in. strips using pizza cutter, place on a bake sheet in a single layer, bake until crisp (13 minutes or so).
3. Blend stewed tomatoes with rinsed cilantro, pepper flakes, ground pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder (if looking for additional spice).
4. Add to saucepan with chicken broth, heat through.
5. Cut avocado in half, remove seed, run knife through avocado lengthwise, then crosswise to dice.
6. Rinse and dice tomato.
7. Grate cheese.
Place avocado, tomato, cheese, and baked tortilla strips in individual bowls, ladle soup over ingredients.
I was very surprised at how quickly this recipe came together. If I had some pre-cooked chicken around, this would be a 15 minute meal.