Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Apprentice teaching

I've been helping out and observing in my host teacher's classroom all this week. We've decided that I'll start teaching in a week and a half (so soon?!) when they start their new unit. I'll be teaching all about rocks and minerals, which means that I will be learning a lot of this stuff just before I teach it to the kids. Should be interesting. The unit will run for four weeks, at which time the school goes on spring break. After spring break, the students come back to family life, which I'm legally not allowed to teach and for privacy's sake not allowed to be present (which means I get a three week spring break, all in all). After family life, the students move on to studying the atmosphere, which my host teacher tells me is really fun. All in all, I'm looking forward to the next few months.

2 comments:

Lara said...

yay for independent teaching! you'll be great. in my program we always say that as long as you can stay two days ahead of the kids, you're fine.

(and, to be honest, i didn't even always do that. i'd never read the scarlet letter before teaching it this year, and i still only read about half of it.)

Teacher Anonymous said...

That's good to know. I had to quiz the kids today on faults and they were pretty cool about reminding me what the name for one of the forces was. For some reason I just could not remember 'shearing.'