Wednesday, December 06, 2006

A book review

Recently, I read the book The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura. Now, I only read this because my uncle, who is going through a very nasty divorce, asked me to. I'm not the self-help book type, nor am I a Dr. Laura fan.

When I was ordering the book, I read the back of the cover and looked at the index, and I wondered whether or not I would get anything from the book that I hadn't already gotten from that brief snippet. After reading it, it turns out that the answer is no. The stories, although crazy and probably not applicable to most people's lives, were somewhat interesting, but even then book could have been about half as long. Looking past the anti-feminist neoconservative rhetoric, the message she had to say was pretty good (but really just a restatement of the golden rule): Treat others the way you want to be treated (the other big point was: Don't forget that your husband is a person, with feelings and needs and the like). The people in the stories, though, were completely insane. Completely.

No comments: