Thursday, June 14, 2007

A world without the old

I was reading this article, which mentions how Jackson, the only son of Fussy, has just lost his last grandparent, and it dawned on me that a lot of kids are growing up grandparent-less. People may be living longer, but so many are having kids so much later in life that the kids never really get to know their grandparents. It really makes me sad. Even though they can be odd, you gain so much from grandparents. Respect, gratitude, diplomacy... B has even learned how to stand up and argue for her beliefs, as she and my mom's dad have clashed over interracial relationships repeatedly. Nothing like standing up to a loud old guy to make you firm in defending your opinions.

I suppose my grandparent experiences have been different from the average, skewing my perspective. Growing up, I had two pairs of grandparents and a pair of great-grandparents. Now, I've got three grandmothers and two grandfathers, and my great-grandma only died a couple of years ago. My dad's parents even followed us down to San Diego. I can hardly imagine an existence without grandparents. Just thinking of it scares me.

No comments: