Thursday, November 19, 2009

NaBloPoMo: Day 19

Being two adults with reasonable incomes who aren't constantly tossing money away dining in restaurants or drinking in bars (or spending it on house maintenance yet), R and I don't have a problem buying ourselves goodies. This means that, when birthdays roll around, getting gifts for each other is both somewhat challenging and not very urgent.

For a while now we've been planning on getting me a wok for Christmas or my birthday, but so far I haven't actually purchased one. So, as a gift, I signed up for a trial membership with a local CSA. They're setting up a new drop point close to our house, so starting in December I'll get to wander down every other week and pick up a box of locally grown fruits and veggies.

It's going to wind up costing us about the same, but the produce will be quite fresh, with the promise of tomatoes picked when actually ripe. You don't get to pick what you receive, which is R's only complaint and will be the reason should we choose not to continue our membership, but I'm not bothered. It will be something of a weekly culinary challenge and I look forward to learning how to cook a few new vegetables. Looking at the harvest schedule, I've got chard, turnips, and winter squash in my future (along with a variety of fruits and veggies I have experience with). Anyone know any good recipes?

No comments: