Friday, November 20, 2009

NaBloPoMo: Day 20

It seems rather odd, but I have an uncanny attraction to the blogs of Mormon women. Not intentionally, mind you, but more often than not I find myself browsing through a new and interesting blog only to discover references to Mormondom. I guess that, at this time in my life, we have a lot in common - kids, cooking, gardening, crafts. The fact that it made my day that we'll be able to afford a house around here with a standard mortgage this summer, rather than the FHA one we had been considering, is somewhat embarrassing.

I keep wondering what my high school self would think of my life now. Ten years ago, I was going to attend UC Berkley and then go to medical school. I wanted to be a pediatrician, but didn't really want kids of my own. I figured I'd probably wind up not getting married, as the males of the species didn't seem to want anything to do with me, plus I'd probably be too busy anyway. Saving other people's lives would make mine worthwhile.

... If you couldn't tell, I was pretty depressed ten years ago. I do wonder what might have been if I continued on the path to medical school, but considering how much happier I am now, I guess my younger self would approve of the decisions I've made. Now I just have to pump myself up enough to feel like I can show my face at the next high school reunion.

Assuming they ever have one I can attend. Christmas Eve Eve reunion my ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that last reunion was kind of awkward. Especially since I was back living with my parents while others were attending Harvard Law or working in Spain. I think we just have to let go of the D-town over-achieving mentality and not let others try to make us feel like losers for choosing happiness over fame and fortune.

-S