Saturday, November 21, 2009

NaBloPoMo: Day 21

Experienced total brain failure while making dinner today. I blame the baby. I made meatloaf and Swiss chard and sweet potato gratin (which turned out delicious, by the way. I used spinach instead of chard) and, of course, the baby was fussy as I was getting everything ready and putting things in the oven.

Fast forward one hour. I take out the gratin but the meatloaf, which I put in later, needs a little more time. The gratin is supposed to cool for ten minutes, so I leave it out and cook the meatloaf for another ten minutes. When I return, the gratin is still bubbling and venting steam like a tiny caldera. I go get R, but when I'm getting ready to serve up dinner, the gratin is still steaming. That was when R notices that the burner on which I set the gratin is still on. Since I didn't cook anything on the stove while dinner was in the over, that means that the burner was left on, open and unattended, for over an hour. Luckily nothing bad happened, but yeesh. I need to pay more attention to my surroundings, crying baby or no.