Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Every day A learns something new

1. When I'm in front of a class my sense of time, erratic as it already is normally, completely abandons me. How long have I been up here? Who knows!

2. At least for the next few weeks, I need to invest in a stronger antiperspirant.

I had my first class session of actual stand-in-front-of-the-room teaching today. My host teacher said I did well, but boy was I nervous! I'm sure it will get easier with practice, but for now I feel a bit scattered and rushed. Luckily (or perhaps not, as I could use the practice) we're mostly just focusing on a lab for the rest of the week, which hopefully means more of the kids doing work and less of me on stage.

Yesterday I got to take part in the capture of a swarm of wild honey bees. One of the other people in the lab had noticed this ball of bees hanging from the rail of one of the overpasses on campus. We quickly prepared a hive and knocked the ball into it. Should be interesting to see how they do.

2 comments:

Lara said...

congrats on the teaching! i'm sure you're doing a great job. :)

Teacher Anonymous said...

Thanks! I hope so. I sort of feel bad for the kids that are being subjected to my attempts at teaching, but they seem pretty resilient.