Friday, November 10, 2006

An end-of-the-week summary

Well, there were a couple of events that happened this week that I have yet to mention, so here goes:

We moved all of the bee colonies into different hives on Monday. We had been using this one colony for research (in an observation hive), so we switched that one into a normal Styrofoam hive and transferred the other strong colony to an observation hive. We also transferred the weaker colony to a smaller box, since they were getting raided by the other stronger colonies. The whole process was very interesting (using smoke to calm the bees, spraying them with a dilute sucrose solution to keep them from flying away), and I got to see how the hives are put together. At the end of the day, there was a ball of bees at the end of the tube that serves as an entrance to the observation hive, as the bees from the old and new observation hives struggled to figure out where they were supposed to go.

Later in the week, though, I noticed a big difference in the hives when I was training the bees to a feeder. Normally, when we had a lot of bees at the feeder, that would mean maybe 30 bees. There was space enough for everyone to feed, no problem. This time, there were over 100 bees at the feeder at one point. It was madness! The feeder was filled, and there wasn't just one row of bees around the feeder, but rather two or three tiers. I even had my own personal cloud of bees following me around while I walked (since they were using me as a landmark).

I saw a girl this week with a T-shirt on that said "so very kissable," and I wondered what would happen if I went up and kissed her. I'm sure she'd be shocked, but isn't that what her shirt was implying I should do? Actually, being around a university, where you've got several thousand people walking around in causal clothes, you get a lot of interesting T-shirts. One quarter the lab manager for the lab I was in wore entirely anti-Bush T-shirts. I thought it was very sad, having your wardrobe based on your hatred of someone.

I got a new phone yesterday. It's a silver Razor phone, and I think it's cool, however R thinks it's kind of silly. He's very amused by the fact that it is wider than my previous phone (being a person who carries his phone in his pocket, overall compactness is the big issue). It is, however, much thinner than my last phone, so I feel that it will fit better in my purse. I guess it is a matter of priorities. In any case, I didn't know how to port my phone number over to my new service, so the whole thing has just been a giant hassle. I had to call all sorts of people, and now I'm just waiting to see if they do what they are supposed to do. Damn you, awesome phone!

Today, being a holiday, I got the day off. Among other things, I went to the Japanese grocery store, and then decided to also hit up the Korean one a block away. I was jonesing for some Korean BBQ, but, while I was there, I couldn't help getting another lunch box. I know, I know. I'm a sick person. It was so cute, though! I also got some roasted crabs, which looked a bit intimidating, but actually are very tasty. They go well with beer, I might add.

So, that is how the week ends. Me, wrangling with the mobile company, consuming crabs and beer.

No comments: