Monday, February 04, 2008

The Growing Challenge #1: Buying seeds

When I first thought of growing plants from seed, my thoughts immediately turned to radishes. I don't know what it is about radishes these days, but I can't seem to get enough of them these days. I, of course, wanted more tomatoes, but I especially wanted to have more than one type of tomato this year. As nice as it is to have large tomatoes, my favorites are probably the little ones. Back in the day, my best friend and I would love to go graze her parents' grape tomatoes. They were so good that her dogs learned to steal tomatoes off the vine! She still sends me a care package of her family's tomatoes for my birthday, which is one of the best presents I can think of.

I also decided to forgo planting melons this summer. Last year I planted honeydew and watermelon, and in the end I only wound up with two individual-sized watermelons and several inedible honeydew. I think the space, and water, could be put to better use.

I also bought some coconut fiber pellets for starting the seeds, which seemed like a convenient and self-contained way for a noob to spout some seeds.

Here's the complete list of what I ordered:







Should be a tasty summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the Brandywine tomatoes, and the Thai peppers are very prolific. Excellent choices!
S