Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Growing Challenge #2: They're here!

My seeds and coconut fiber pellets arrived in the mail this week. Next weekend I have a four day weekend (normally schools have two three day weekends in a row, so our school decided to combine them into one grand holiday) so I'll start my planting then. The task for the week? Information gathering.

Two of the six varieties of seeds are to be planted directly into the soil. The other four need to be started inside, hence the coconut fiber pellets. I was reading the back of the package, however, and found some instructions I don't yet know what to do about. Apparently they need to be kept at 80* F with bottom heat. Am I supposed to get some sort of heating pad? Could I just make a little greenhouse with clear plastic and bring the trays in at night (not that it gets particularly cold here)? I don't know. Time to hit the books. If you know more about this than I do, please feel free to give me advice. I need it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard of people keeping them on top of the refrigerator for warmer temps. Last year when starting my seeds I kept them in our very tiny laundry room that stays warmer than the rest of the apartment (especially when the dryer is going). I never really measured temperature exactly, just tried to keep them somewhere warmer.