Saturday, February 16, 2008

Recipe Review: Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

I actually made this recipe a few weeks ago, but I've been slacking off and neglected to post a review until now. This delay should not be construed as dislike of the recipe, but rather an artifact of my being really busy and not wanting to type up a recipe. I know, I'm a slacker.

In truth, the soup was delicious and easy to make. I didn't eat it fresh (though I'm sure it would have been delicious at that point), but instead ate it for lunch a couple of days later. It was delicious. I'm curious as to how well it might hold up in the freezer. I'd love to make a big batch and just have it at the ready for whenever I might need it.

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
From Everyday Food
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1/3 c wild-rice blend
1. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add carrots, celery, and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes.

2. Add broth, chicken, rice, and 1 1/2 c water to pan. Bring to boil; reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook until chicken in opaque throughout, 6-8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, shred with two forks.

3. Meanwhile, continue to cook soup, uncovered, until rice is tender, 6-8 minutes. Return chicken to pan; simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. (To store, place in airtight containers, and refrigerate up to 2 days; reheat over medium, about 10 minutes.)

No comments: